Three book meme...

Monday, May 21, 2007
Okay, I've been tagged by Joakim for book recommendations... Hmmmmm... I love books, and do read an awful lot, but am pretty much taking a mental blank when it comes to actually picking some to put down... But I'll give it a whirl!

1. Three non-fiction books everyone should read:
Well, I know you'll probably all expect me to put down the Bible, or the Catechism of the Catholic Church, or Morning and Evening Prayer from the Divine Office.... So I'll try to resist that......

However, for the non-fiction category, I guess my choices are still going to be pretty Catholic... I'll go for With Us Today by Fr John Hardon,
The Kiss from the Cross by Ronda Chervin, and Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West.


2. Three works of fiction that everyone should read:
Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Screwtape Letters (the last of which I haven't actually read yet, as such, but have cried with laughter, listening to the audio book, narrated by John Cleese!)


3. Three authors everyone should read:
Although, it's almost impossible to pick only three... I'll stick down my favourite "park-your-brain" fiction authors... I would tend to read stuff by Jodi Picoult, James Patterson, Elizabeth Flock, that kind of thing... Really, they're the kind of books where I can't even really remember what it is even ABOUT afterwards, but they're great for just chilling out, where you can get so engrossed in the story for an evening or two, but just switch off at the same time...


4. Three books that nobody should read:
Oh, don't even START me on THAT topic!!! Grr!! Grr!! Grr!!


.... And then a couple of honourable mentions I thought I'd add in...
I really DO feel the urge to mention two books that I got as a Christmas present from my lovely housemate this past Christmas!!! Firstly, there's Saints Behaving Badly, which is a GREAT book, showing that there's hope for us yet, hehe! Then there's The Incredible Book of Vatican Facts and Papal Curiosities, which is a pretty amusing book with all sorts of Catholic trivia.


All great books, but I'm sure once I start thinking about this, I'll want to go back and edit this post to add a whole bunch more!!!

Right, I'm going to tag Éamonn, Margreet (who hasn't updated her blog in FOREVER, so needs an excuse to do so!), and Mr-DCF-Book-Recommender-Extraordinaire, DAN... but seeing as Dan doesn't have a blog, he'll either just have to start one, or leave his in a comment here!!! Ah go on! Ye will, ye will, ye will!!!

9 comments:

jj Says:
May 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Yay. You responded to my tag. Your Honourable mentions seems really interesting too. Got to read those.

//Joakim

Anonymous Says:
May 21, 2007 3:23 pm

I guess I can leave my comments here. I would get a blog, but honestly I have no idea what I would write there.


*Three non-fiction books everyone should read*

1-"The Passion and Death of Jesus Christ" by Saint Alphonsus Liguori. Every page has a lifetimes worth of spiritual fruit and contemplation. Beautiful meditations on the Passion of our Lord. If this book doesn't make you love our Lord, nothing will.

2-The Diary of Saint Faustina. Saint Faustina's life and writings give such great advice and instruction on suffering, prayer, the spiritual life, Divine Mercy. Simply one of the best books ever.

3-Summa theologica by Saint Thomas. An invaluable source for theology.

*Three works of fiction that everyone should read*

I don't really read fiction, but I could mention Space Trilogy by CS Lewis, Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky, and like Leah I enjoyed the Screwtape letters.

*Three authors everyone should read *

I would probably recommend the three that wrote the books I recommended, but to make it more interesting I would recommend Father Joseph Pohle whose dogmatic theology series is indispensable, Father Garrigou-Lagrange has written to many great books to mention , and Josef Pieper who has written many excellent philosophical works that are easy to understand and have a breadth of wisdom.

*Three books that nobody should read*

Hmmm. Does Leah's blog count?

Honorable mention? Like Leah I enjoyed "A Kiss from the Cross". "Uniformity with the Will of God" by Saint Alphonsus. "Modern Saints" by Ann Ball. And I would mention Etienne Gilson as another great author.

lowdenclear Says:
May 21, 2007 3:56 pm

Yaaay, replies!!!! Hehehe! That was quick... :-)

Éamonn Says:
May 22, 2007 4:49 pm

I have just finished my response! (But being a lot less charitable than you commented on the three that no-one should read!)

jj Says:
May 23, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks, Bon. Sounds perfect to read out in the garden this summer. :-)

H F J Says:
May 24, 2007 2:20 am

The Kiss from the Cross by Ronda Chervin ~ This really is a fantastic book and would be on my list. But no one ever tags me for meme's. :P ;)

lowdenclear Says:
May 24, 2007 9:58 am

Well, ALL the DCF ladies got tagged by Joakim! Which is why I didn't tag any of you... :(

Therese Says:
May 24, 2007 2:14 pm

7 comments? I never get that many comments on my blog anymore. (:

lowdenclear Says:
May 24, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm so popular, me... B-)