Here is Wikipedia's entry on the background of Allegri's Miserere (Psalm 51), along with the text and translation.
I absolutely love this. I first heard it on an album I had on my iPod that I took to listening to at 3 in the morning when our neighbours were having parties and playing really rubbish music and, just in general, keeping me awake when I had to go to work the next morning... I found that by the end of the first track or two, I was able to go back to sleep... It was like falling asleep surrounded by angels. :-) I've loved it even more since hearing the Lassus Scholars when in Dublin last year for the Solemn Liturgy of Good Friday -- something I hope to repeat this year, of course.
Anyway. I hope you all have a very blessed Lent. In the words of the Psalm... "Cor mundum crea in me, Deus: et spiritum rectum innova in visceribus meis."
"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."

4 comments:
February 06, 2008 8:23 pm
Simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
February 07, 2008 3:09 pm
That is one of my favorites as well, Leah.
February 09, 2008 4:08 pm
Hey Leah, it's Eimear here. Didn't know you and Eamonn both blogged.
Have fun at the ball tonight, Conor was saying you'll be there (I won't- I was at a seminar with Prof McEvoy today and in general couldn't be bothered getting dressed up).
Nice blog, by the way. I'll drop by every now and then for a wee read!
February 24, 2008 9:03 am
Very fitting for lent. I have tagged you for a lenten meme at my blog.
Post a Comment